Saturday, November 07, 2015

Google Pride

I don't do Power Point.

Well, that's not quite true. I've put PowerPoint presentations together for other people, and I've done them for when I'm presenting with a group. But, when it's just me. I don't do PowerPoint.

However, I've just finished doing a Power Point for the keynote speech I'm doing in San Francisco in a couple of weeks. I won't be clicking away madly as I speak, I've made this to play, automatically, in a loop.

I'm speaking about Intellectual Disability and Identity.

So I wanted to put together images, photos, cartoons, bumper stickers, tee shirts, that present disability as an identity of which pride is an integral part.

So I sat down at my computer and I began to search for these images.

And I had a blast!

A freaking, fracking, blast!!

There were so many!

So very, very, very, very, very, many to choose from.

It's like there has been this slow growth, this blooming of disability pride in both political and personal forums which has resulted in out and proud images everywhere I looked.

I had to stop at 45 images.

I could have done 145 without breaking a sweat.

So, if you are bored one day, sit down at the computer and google disability pride, or disability tee shirts, or disability posters, or disability cartoons ... and just wait and see what you'll find!

It's early in the morning, I've been doing this for three hours, and I'm uplifted (not inspired) by the positive images and the devastatingly funny cartoons I found.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

This is awesome!

Anonymous said...

One of my favourites is the t-shirt I saw that read "Autistic Pride". It had a group of lions on rockers like rocking horses (because a group of lions is a pride, and rocking is of course one of the things that some of us auties like to do). LOL

--Littlewolf